The board meets on the second Wednesday each month. Minutes read from most recent to oldest. Additional minutes can be requested by the Friends of New Salem Public Library
Meeting Minutes July 6, 2022
Present: Marny Ashburne, Martha Nicoll, Barbara Franck, Anna Channing, George Perides, Jo Boskind, Linda Chatfield (library staff)
Meeting began at 6:04 PM via Zoom.
The June Minutes were approved as written.
Reports: Treasurer: The balance as of July 1 is $11,066.69. There were $15.00 in donations and $10.00 in membership dues received for a total income of $25.00. $1.03 in expenses was paid for Square; $499.75 in books for the library, $300. for gifts for departing board members, $81.00 for Annual Meeting expenses, $100.00 for Richie Davis honorarium and $150.00 for New England Botanical Garden at Tower Hill pass. The total expenditures for the month was $1132.49. The report was approved. Director:Overall visits to the library for the month were 296. Program attendance at six programs over the month had a total of 85. Yoga class had 23 attendees & the book discussion group had 7. Total attendance of all types was 425. Total circulation for all formats was 805. The 8 week summer reading program which began on June 25th is continuing until August 20. Building update/Lighting Upgrade: Larry Eaton is interested in the project. If Larry decides not take on the project the Town may assist in getting an electrician. Linda has been working on the website and has added a new tab through which access to the Friends information can be made. There is a new library Director: Tracie Shea from Hardwick has accepted the position and will be starting on July 19, 2022. Linda will be training her and as of the 19th she will return to her position as substitute library assistant. Trustees: Marny reported that there has been no meeting since our last board meeting. Publicity: Marny reported she will be updating the Friends Flyer with the new board members. She will also update the Friends information board at the Library. She has completed new name tags for each board member.
NEW BUSINESS 1.Board of Directors Positions Approved: Chair: Anna Channing, Secretary Jo Ellen Boskind, Treasurer, George Perides. It was agreed that the positions will be put back on an even year schedule so the current positions will be held until 2024. 2.Programming & Fundraiser/Fall Event Ideas: Our state senator Jo Comerford will be visiting the library on August 27 from 1- 2pm. We will be co-sponsoring this event. Fall AuthorReading: It was agreed that Marny will read from her new book on September 15. CiderFest: We discussed possible dates and whether a guided tour of the cider could be part of the program. Martha will follow-up with Carol Hillmann. 3. Recruiting New Board Members: Linda has expressed interest in continuing to be part of our board, with the Trustees approval. The Trustees want to check with legal counsel and will let us know their decision before our next board meeting. This will still leave one open position. OLD BUSINESS Legacy Donations: Barbara has been captaining this project. She has been working with Gill Woodworking and has developed plans and a sketch for the woodworker’s review. The estimated cost is $2500. Barbara will be following up to see if the cost could be reduced through, for example, use of a different wood. She plans a visit to this workshop.
Next Meeting: August 10 at 6PM. Meeting was adjourned at 6:55 PM. Respectfully submitted, Jo Ellen Boskind, Secretary
Meeting Minutes June 15, 2022
Present: Betsy Bergantino, Marny Ashburne, Martha Nicoll, Barbara Franck, Anna Channing, George Perides, Jo Boskind, Karen Stevens, Lisa Finestone, Linda Chatfield (library staff)
Meeting began at 6:10 PM via Zoom.
The May Minutes were approved as written. Reports: Treasurer: The balance as of June 3 is $12,174.18. There were no membership dues received. $20.71 was received from Amazon Smile Account. $650 in expenses was paid to the Mass MoCA, Historical Deerfield, and FP Zoo for passes. A total of $25.68 was paid for expenses related to the Friends Book Sale at the town wide tag sale. $104.92 was used for the purchase of new library books for a total expenditures of $780.60 Donations received for the month were $225.68. The proposed FY23 Budget to be presented at the annual meeting was also discussed The report was approved. Director: Overall visits to the library for the month were 336. Program attendance for the month was 93. Yoga class had 26 attendees & the book discussion group had 10. There are 784 books in circulation. A new 8 week program focusing on summer reading will be starting on June 25th. With regard to the needed repairs, Larry Eaton is following up with Andrew Olsen re possible interest in the project. Trustees: Marny reported that the director position has been offered to a candidate from Hardwick. As of this meeting she has not yet accepted the offer. There is a new trustee, Mailande DeWitt, who is a law student. Publicity: Marny reported that the focus of publicity has been the Annual Meeting, scheduled for June 18, 2022.
NEW BUSINESS 1. Annual Meeting & Ice Cream Social. Richie Davis will be our guest speaker. The event will happen on Saturday June 18 from 2-4pm. Betsy will follow-up re shopping list and email the board with last minute needs. 2. Recruiting New Board members. We discussed a pamphlet that would describe The Friends and our activities and be used for recruitment. We discussed recruiting members through our own social networks. Linda described a link from the library website to the Friends info; she will work on creating a new section for the board that can be accessed through an identified tab on the website. We discussed whether staff can be (non-voting) members of our board. Anna will follow-up with the Trustees regarding this. 3. Garden. Lisa recommended a committee be formed to address the care of the garden. Martha volunteered to weed as needed. Anna, Jo and Barbara are also willing to help. Lisa offered to put a list together of what is needed for care of the garden. We discussed a Fall Cleanup event for sometime this fall. Further discussion was tabled. 4. Programming/ Fall Event Ideas. There was interest in having two authors for the fall: Marny and possibly Kathy Picard, who is a children’s author. Ciderfest was also discussed as a fundraiser. Further discussion was tabled
OLD BUSINESS Legacy Donations: Barbara is following up with Jeannie Clayton on a possible event on the anniversary of John’s death, in September 2022. She continues to pursue possible woodworkers for the project. Town Wide Tag Sale: Our booksale netted $250.00. Roundabout Books in Greenfield took the leftover CD’s and books.
Next Meeting: Annual meeting June 18 2pm to 4. Board meeting July 6 at 6PM Meeting was adjourned at 7:37 PM. Respectfully submitted, Jo Ellen Boskind, Secretary
Meeting Minutes May 11, 2022
Present: Betsy Bergantino, Marny Ashburne, Anna Channing, George Perides, Jo Boskind, Karen Stevens Lisa Feinstone, Linda Chatfield (library staff)
Meeting began at 6:09 PM via hybrid.
The April Minutes were approved as written.
REPORTS Treasurer: The balance as of May 1 is $12833.39. There were no donations or membership dues received. $125 in expenses was paid to the Eric Carle Museum for passes. Donations are unchanged from the previous month (John Clayton total $2005.00, Annual Appeal $2104.00) with the exception of a $50.00 donation in memory of Dorothy Johnson. The report was approved. Director: Overall visits to the library for the month were 270. Attendance at two of the programs was small - “Climate change in Your Back Yard” had only 9 participants via Zoom; In person, “Earth Day Celebration” had 8 and the first session of “Tales & Tunes with Katie” had 15 for a total program attendance of 32. Yoga class had 29 attendees & the book discussion group had 5 with a total number for all attendance of 340. Several programs are planned for May & June. $499.76 of the $500 Friends Material Donation (FY22) have been spent on new books and $104.92 of the $107.48 from the Stella Haney book donation fund (FY22)has been spent on children’s books. There are two new library volunteers and a new substitute. There is movement forward on the lighting upgrade: three electricians have come forward with interest in the project. Christian Haines plans to contact his supplier to get some idea of the cost of the actual fixtures. In addition, Richard Harrington & Chris Desorcy have expressed interest and have received copies of the proposal. The town has a new website. Anna will email the select board re our calendar appearing on the website. Trustees: Marny reported that the next meeting of the Trustees will be May 24th with the last day for applications for the library director position set as May 16. There are now two candidates. Publicity: Marny reported that the brochure announcing the Friends Booksale at the town wide tag sale is completed.
NEW BUSINESS 1. Book Sale at the town-wide tag-sale on Saturday May 14: Karen will get donuts. Receipts for coffee & donuts should be detailed for reimbursement. Donations for additional books should be brought to the library on May 12th. The sorting tasks & set up, staffing of the sale & takedown are in order. 2. Annual Meeting & Ice Cream Social: Richie Davis will be our guest speaker. The event will happen on Saturday June 18 from 2-4pm. The annual meeting should take 15-20 minutes. Betsy, George & Anna will put together the agenda and budget. We agreed that the speaker should receive a $100 honorarium. We discussed various resources for the ice cream; Betsy will follow-up and get info re costs from Barts and other sources and email the board with recommendations. 3. Recruiting New Board members: this discussion was tabled. 4. Programming/Authors for the Fall: There was interest in having two authors for the fall and Reading Aloud for Grownups in the spring. We also discussed the possibility of returning to the Murder Mystery, Chocolate & Wine tasting or Cider tasting events as fundraisers. Further discussion was tabled
OLD BUSINESS 1. Trustees Policy Review: We reviewed the revised Friends of the Library Policies and approved them.
Meeting was adjourned at 7:29 PM.
Next meeting: Wednesday June 15 at 6:00 PM.
Jo Ellen Boskind, Secretary
Meeting Minutes April 13, 2022
Present: Marny Ashburne, Betsy Bergantino, Anna Channing, Linda Chatfield (library acting director), Lisa Feinstone, Martha Nicoll, George Perides, Karen Stevens
Meeting began at 6.10 via Zoom
The March meeting minutes were approved
REPORTS Treasurer’s report: Balance as of April 6, 2022 is $12,833.39. The main expense was the payment of the chairs purchased for the community room ($1,493.16). The report was unanimously approved. Director’s Report: Attendance at the library either in person or through zoom for the various programs is up again, as it appears that people are returning to pre-Covid habits. The March circulation has reached 748 items, mostly books and DVDs. A total of 70 items were added to the library. Earth Day celebration at the 1794 Meetinghouse has been arranged and starting 4/26, a 5-week series of “Tales & Tunes with Katie” will start. Linda is still working on identifying somebody to do the Lighting upgrade at the library. The candidates for director of the Library have withdrawn and the search is starting anew. Publicity: The only items was the “Meeting the Candidates” for the 2022 local New Salem elections. Trustee Policy Review: Tabled for next month in the interest of time.
NEW BUSINESS Meet the candidates. It is set for April 26. 5 candidates have agreed to participate, 3 with statements and 2 via zoom. The two participating via zoom are the candidates for the only contested sit (Planning Board). Anna Channing will moderate and introduce the candidates. Each will have 3-4 minutes to state their position. After that there will be an open question and answer session. The friends will send the link to people who have not registered, since we can control who joins in and at the same time even remove somebody who may behave inappropriately. Annual meeting We agreed to set a date for Saturday June 18th 4-6pm. The meeting is open to all the members of the friends. The budget will be discussed and the board of directors will be elected. We discussed whether we should combine it with an event at the 1794 Meetinghouse, trivia or some other special performance. Recruiting new members. Lisa and Betsy will leave the board this year. It was suggested that we need to expand our search to people that we don’t know at all. Marny suggested that we could send material to the people we have on our list describing what we do as we invite them to join the board, and put an invitation at the library to ask the visitors to join. Programming. Karen raised the concern that we have slowed down and may not be doing enough. She said that she would not like the Friends to just become a fundraising tool for the library. Other members noted that we do plenty and the last two years, trying to adapt to the Covid pandemic, we provided a real service to the town. Linda Chatfield suggested to increase or start an author’s program, during which we will invite local (or not) authors to present their latest or older work. That was very positively received and several authors were mentioned. (Romer, J.D. Lantis, Celia Jeffers). Lisa Finestone suggested that the Friends can also help the Library by providing more funding and work at the various programs the Library develops. Museum passes. A vote was taken to order the museum passes for the Eric Carle, DCR, Mass MOCA, Historic Museum of Deerfield and Forest Park Zoo. Tag sale. Tag sale has been set by the Town for 5/14 at 8-12noon. We arrange to present there and sell donuts. Garden. The trustees appear to have a budget for it and Monika will bring the pots out.We plan to plant a tree to the right of the entrance next to the lilies
Next meeting on May 11, at 6.00pm
The meeting was adjourned at 7.57
Meeting Minutes March 9, 2022
Present: Betsy Bergantino, Marny Ashburne, Anna Channing, George Perides, Jo Boskind, Barbara Franck, Martha Nicoll, Karen Stevens, Linda Chatfield (library staff)
Meeting began at 6:03 PM via Zoom.
The February Minutes were approved as written.
REPORTS Treasurer's report The Treasurer’s report was read. The balance as of March 2 is $14126.25. This included $155 in donations & $20.00 in membership dues for a total income of $175.00. There were $303 in expenses paid to Collective Copies for the Fall Newsletter. Donations for the Clayton Fund are now $2005.00 in total. The annual appeal has netted $2104.00 so far. The report was approved. Director’s Report Attendance at the library is up 21% from January. Circulation has seen a 41%increase over January. A very successful Zoom program on March 4 on “Gorgeous Gardens Of New England” was well received & had 62 registrants & 36 attendees. Linda reported that the new chairs we purchased are in place and are a positive addition. A building update was provided: There have been problems securing an electrician. Steve Canning & Glen Tattan are not available. A suggestion for an electrician was made. Jo will supply Christian Haines contact info to Linda for follow-up. Linda reported that a donation to the Friends in memory of Dorothy Johnson, who recently died, was left at the library. Several programs are being planned for April. Linda is also working with the Orange Co-op to have a Library Day at the Co-op. The Farm School will be part of this. It is planned for May 19 from 10-4. Trustees Marny reported that the Covid policy was reviewed in light of the mask mandate being lifted and it was decided to open the library to groups of up to 25, with no restrictions on serving refreshments. The Trustees are reviewing the Policy Handbook. We will review the Trustees’ draft policy regarding the Friends Group. A subcommittee of the friends was suggested for this purpose: Lisa, Anna & Marny will take this on. Communication between the Director & the Friends was felt to be key. Publicity Marny reported that Reading Aloud for Grownups, planned for March 15, is the focus of current publicity activities. NEW BUSINESS 1. Trustee Policy Review: See above. 2. Reading Aloud For Grownups on March 15th: It was decided that this will be offered as a hybrid. Barbara will host the program. It will include a recognition & dedication of the program in memory of the program’s pioneer and mentor, Dorothy Johnson. Anna will take care of the hybrid setup. 3. Library Director Search Committee Update: Betsy reported that there are four candidates: two look great. Applications were submitted online. The questions for the interviews are in place. The search committee will meet again on March 10. It was decided that the committee members will police themselves to avoid issues with unconscious bias. 4. Candidate Forum for Town Elections: The Friends will host this on April 26th. It will be a meet &greet the candidate event. Anna will moderate. The Planning Board has the only contested seat. 5. Robert Romer Reading: Karen expressed interest in the Friends hosting authors as was done so successfully last year. She suggested that such programing is essential in keeping patrons interested in supporting our efforts financially. This local author was one of her suggestions. We decided to discuss this kind of programing in greater detail at our next meeting. We also discussed supporting Linda’s programming financially: what this would look like will also be discussed at our next meeting. 6. Museum Passes: This discussion was tabled. Old Business: Update on Legacy Donations/Clayton Fund: As reported in the Treasurer’s report, donations continue to come in. The fund is now at $2005.00. Tagging Friends Items (furniture etc). Discussion tabled.
Meeting was adjourned at 7:30PM. Next meeting: Wednesday April 13 at 6:00 PM, hybrid. Respectfully submitted, Jo Ellen Boskind, Secretary
Meeting Minutes February 9, 2022
Present: Lisa Feinstone, Betsy Bergantino, Marny Ashburne, Anna Channing, George Perides, Jo Boskind, Barbara Franck, Martha Nicoll, Karen Stevens, Linda Chatfield (library staff)
Meeting began at 6:04 PM via Zoom.
The January Minutes were approved as written. REPORTS Treasurer's report The Treasurer’s report was read. The balance as of February 6 is $14254.25. This included $277 in donations & $130.00 in membership dues for a total of $407.00 & $1.03 in Square fees for expenditures. Donations for the Clayton Fund are still coming in, now over $1905.00. The annual appeal has netted $2059.00 so far. The report was approved. Director’s Report Attendance & circulation totals were down from January by 10%, with the biggest decrease in children’s attendance which was down from 14 to 5, probably attributable to the Covid. There were no programs in January. The February 4th Zoom program with Michael Tougias on “The Blizzard of 1978” was very well attended with 48 attending & 82 registrations, including a significant number of registrations from around the state. Publicity was very good. Trustees Marny reported that the Covid policy was reviewed and it was decided to limit in-person events to 10 or fewer participants. The problem with the Friends chair purchases was discussed. All the old chairs were donated and therefore are not town property, so can be disposed of as the library sees fit. Publicity Marny reported that Reading Aloud for Grownups, planned for February 15, is the focus for publicity activities. In addition she noted that twenty-six new members were added to the publicity contact list from the annual appeal.
NEW BUSINESS 1. Trustee Policy Review: This handbook is being reviewed by the Trustees. There is a statement in this policy that the Friends are non-voting participants in the Trustee meetings Th e current Friends policy will be reviewed by Lisa, Marny & Anna. Their recommendations and/or suggestions for revision will be presented to our board for further discussion. 2. Annual Appeal Update: Reported in the Treasurer’s Report 3. New Chairs: The 6 chairs purchased by our board arrived with some problems: two were the wrong color and one was broken. Two will need to be returned and possibly the third, if no replacement wheel is available. Reparation is still in process. 4. Reading Aloud For Grownups on February 15th: It was decided that this will be offered thru Zoom only. Anna will follow up with the readers re set up and timeframe for each story. She will also open the meeting. Dee Waterman & Frederick Edwards will be the readers. Karen & Barbara both volunteered to open the March 15 program. 5. Tagging Friends’ Items in the library: We discussed whether to have tags or plaques on books and or furniture that have been provided for by the Friends, or to simply have a poster that had this information. The discussion was tabled for now. 6. Museum Passes: We reviewed the museum pass template put together by Anna. The Eric Carle Museum, Tower Hill, Historic Deerfield have been purchased. Passes for Ecotarium, Holyoke Children’s Museum, Worcester Art Museum, Magic Wings, Clark Institute and Brattleboro Museum, DCR and Mass MOCA are under consideration. We added to this list a question of including the Basketball Hall of Fame. Linda will follow-up re cost and terms. Linda had previously advised against purchasing passes to the Brattleboro Museum and a second DCR pass. 7. Library Director Search Committee: Betsy reported that the search committee will meet on February 10. We discussed how to engage the public in this process and also how to engage in a process for assessment of candidates that avoids unconscious bias. The search committee meetings will be listed on the library website in the Calendar section. Linda has created multiple links so that users can access the calendar from a variety of locations. Interview questions will still be solicited until the end of February when the interviews are expected to begin. Betsy will follow up.
OLD BUSINESS Update on Legacy Donations/Clayton Fund: We reviewed a rough diagram provided by Linda of possible end cap bookcase(s) for the adult area. Quotes are still needed. Discussion to be continued. Meeting was adjourned at 7:35PM. Next meeting: Wednesday March 9 at 6:00 PM
Jo Ellen Boskind, Secretary
Meeting Minutes January 12, 2022
Present: Lisa Feinstone, Betsy Bergantino, Marny Ashburne, Anna Channing, George Perides, Jo Boskind, Barbara Franck, Martha Nicoll Linda Chatfield (library staff)
December Minutes were discussed and approved with one small modification.
REPORTS Treasurer: The report was read and approved. The balance as of January 7 is $13,848.28. $1997.39 in donations & $470.00 in Membership dues were received. There are some donations of about $200.00 still to be recorded. George received a request from the Secretary of State. He will followup with Karen re this. Director: Attendance & circulation totals were down from November, probably attributable to the new Covid surge. But attendance at yoga was significantly up. A wreath making class was also well attended and positively received by participants. All three grants that Linda applied for in October & November were awarded. Regarding the book trucks: Linda recommended that decisions on this can wait til the new Director is in place and questioned whether our board need fund this. Trustees Meeting: Marny reported that the Friends annual report is needed before the next Trustees Meeting on February 8th. Anna will followup. Betsy will look for last year’s report. Betsy was named chair of the search committee for the new Director. She noted there will be no in-person meetings of the committee before the end of January. Publicity: Marny reported that Annual Appeal and Reading Aloud for Grownups were a focus for publicity activities. She edited the poster for Reading Aloud & created announcements for the newsletter. The annual appeal was also publicized in the town’s newsletter. She noted also that the pop-up book sale captained by Monica Winters netted $72.00
NEW BUSINESS 1. Annual Appeal Update: Reported in the Treasurer’s Report 2. Reading Aloud For Grownups on January 15h: It has been decided that this will be offered thru Zoom only. Anna will follow up with the readers re set up and timeframe. She will also open the meeting. 3. Interview Questions for Library Director Search Committee: These are needed before the end of February when the interviews are expected to begin. We reviewed the questions that the search committee has come up with so far. Collaboration with our Board was recommended; how to word this question for the search committee was discussed. Linda will follow-up with the Trustees re putting details about the search on the Library’s website. 4. Museum passes: Linda detailed in her report the passes that were most utilized in previous years. These included the Clark Museum (10), DCR (7 total), Magic Wings Conservatory (6), Mass MOCA (7) Tower Hill (5) Eric Carle Museum (3). Lisa will follow-up with Karen & Mary-Anne re history of pass purchases and possibility of other passes eg the Springfield Museums and the Ecotarium in Worcester. Linda recommended against renewing passes to the Brattleboro Museum, Historic Deerfield and a second DCR pass. Anna will put the details about the passes into a template/table for review.
OLD BUSINESS Update on Legacy Donations: Linda discussed in her report her work on the Clayton fund suggestions for either a book case or display shelving at the front desk. A picture of the display shelving from Athol Library was attached to her report along with the approximate dimensions for both the bookcase & display shelves. Barbara will follow up with Athol Library re the carpenter that they used for their display shelving.
The Board expressed much gratitude for Linda’s excellent work on behalf of our board & the library’s patrons.
Meeting was adjourned at 7:41PM. Next meeting: Wednesday February 9 at 6:00 PM Respectfully submitted, Jo Ellen Boskind, Secretary
Meeting Minutes December 8, 2021
Present: Lisa Finestone, Anna Channing, Marny Ashburne, Barbara Frankel, Linda Chatfield, Betsy Bergantino, George Perides, Karen Stevens, Jo Boskind
Meeting began at 6:05 PM via Zoom. The November 10, 2021 Minutes were approved.
REPORTS Treasurer: There have been five donations since 11/29 from Amazon Smile. The balance in our account as of December 3 is $11,841.52. No funds have come in yet for our annual appeal.The total of donations in memory of John Clayton is $1805.00. Board members were reminded to send in their membership dues. Director: The Director’s Report was shared. Linda underscored that the attendance and feedback re the two children’s programs reported on at last meeting had been very positive. The two programs had a total of 134 attendees. She received clarification that capital improvements to the library are the purview of the Trustees & the town. Barbara mentioned concerns re the condition of the road in front of the building. Engaging the town to address this was discussed. A review of the recommendations Linda received from other libraries re the use of memorial funds & other donations was shared. The establishment of trust funds was suggested. Linda reported that the library currently has six Trust funds and the Stella Haney Fund (which is not a trust fund). She also solicited staff for suggestions on how the Clayton funds could be utilized. Replacing or repairing the book truck was suggested. Building a small wooden display shelf for the library to feature local writers & holiday displays was also discussed. This latter suggestion was felt by the board to be more in keeping with what John Clayton would have wanted for the library. Trustees: Marny reported that the Trustees are editing but have not yet finalized the job description for the Library Director position. The date that the search committee will convene will be either this month or January 2022. The Trustees are also working on the Capital Report for 2023 Publicity: Marny reported on publicity for the Pop-Up book sale going on at the library coordinated by Monica Winters.
NEW BUSINESS 1. Reading Aloud for Grownups: Barbara followed up with Dorothy Johnson. A decision re dates for the program was made: Three programs from January - March on the third Tuesdays were decided on: January 18th, February 15, & March 15 from 7PM to 8:30, in person & with a Zoom option. Lisa will approach the town select board for approval to serve wine. Anna will be available to help with the set up for Zoom and provide wine. Two members will take on the refreshments and the set up for each meeting. George agreed to provide a savory refreshment for the January 18th program. The two volunteers for each of the February & March meetings will be decided at our next board meeting. We agreed to make a gift of our Friends tote bags for each of the readers. 2. Museum Passes: The only free passes the library has available are the DCR ones for now. Linda will follow up on the list of passes we made available in past and how much they were utilized to help with deciding which ones should be purchased for 2022. 3. Annual Appeal: No donations have been received to date. We need copies of the newsletter & appeal available at the library. Anna will follow up on obtaining 50 more copies from the copy center.
OLD BUSINESS Update on legacy donations - Martha & Barbara talked with Jeanne re her wishes for the funds donated in her husband’s name. She would like something that would be made in wood, honoring John’s skills in that area. 2. Update on Art Displays: Linda has hung the work of Leverett painter Elsje Sturtevant which will be on display for the next couple of months. The artwork has been well received, and serves as a good contrast to the previous work that was shown. She has contacted other artists who are interested in showing their work in future. Barbara suggested a rotating electronic picture display that would highlight the Friends programs. It was agreed that this would be a good idea. She will price the options. 3. Six chairs have been ordered from Tucker Library Interiors. . Meeting was adjourned at 7:32 PM. Next meeting: Wednesday, January 12 at 6:00 PM. Respectfully submitted, Jo Ellen Boskind, Secretary
Meeting Minutes November 10, 2021 Present: Lisa Finestone, Anna Channing, Marny Ashburne, Barbara Frankel, Linda Chatfield, Martha Nicoll, Betsy Bergantino, George Perides, Jo Boskind Meeting began at 6:04 PM via Zoom. The October 27, 2021 Minutes were approved.
REPORTS Treasurer: There was no new report as there had been only two weeks since the last report. Trustees Meeting: There is no update since the last meeting & discussion. The next meeting will be November 16th. Director: Linda reported on the two children’s programs that are running concurrently: One is five weeks the other is three & both have been well attended. Story Walk attracted 19 participants & Tales & Tunes, 35. The feedback has been positive. She has consulted with Monica Winters on the lighting upgrade. Requests for two quotes for this project have been sent out. There are plans for two adult programs in January & February of next year Publicity: Marny reported on the Amazon Smile promotion in the New Salem News. Next program will be Reading Aloud. We discussed whether to have 3 or 4 programs beginning in January. Barbara will follow-up with Dorothy Johnson re her recommendations.
NEW BUSINESS 1. Six new chairs for the library: Tucker Library Interiors of Bedford NH will match existing chairs. The cost is $248. per chair or $1493.16 for all. This will be paid for from leftover ROL funds. This was voted on & approved unanimously. 2. Ongoing Used Book Sale: Monica will take over managing used books & sales. Chris Bouda has volunteered to remove remainders from our recent sale. 3. Fall Newsletter/Annual Appeal: Anna will finish draft & email to the board for revisions/ suggestions. We discussed the possibility of using the services of Direct Mailing as an alternative for $200.00. Lisa will email the Town Clerk for mailing list & addressee labels unless we go with the other option mentioned. A decision will be made by next week via email. 4. Memorial Donations (John Clayton): We discussed a need to know what other libraries have done & how to use this donation. Linda has information re legacy donation options. She will scan & send to us for review. Barbara & Martha agreed to form a subcommittee to deal with future such donations. 5. Wish List for donated funds: Linda viewed a display shelf at Athol library & is interested in exploring improved display options.
OLD BUSINESS Subcommittee to bring Art Displays to the Library. Jo reported she sent out emails to Anan & Amy, former members of this committee to inquire re their interest. Anan has indicated he no longer has the time to participate. Linda agreed to spearhead this effort & Jo will consult with her re possibilities. We agreed that a new exhibit would be in order as Amy Fagin’s work has been up for a long time. Linda will contact local artists for a rotating display of their work & Jo will review these options with her. Community Room: It was noted that Barbara & George have taken this on & will follow-up & make a checklist for use of the room. Books: It was noted that there is $500.00 for book purchases which can include New York Times bestsellers. Other Business: Standing Meeting Time: It was agreed that the second Wednesday of the month at 6PM will be our recurring meeting time. Meeting was adjourned at 7:42 PM. Next meeting: Wednesday, December 8 at 6:00 PM. Respectfully submitted, Jo Ellen Boskind, Secretary
Meeting Minutes October 27, 2021 Present: Lisa Finestone, Anna Channing, Marny Ashburne, Karen Stevens, Linda Chatfield, Martha Nicoll, Jo Boskind Meeting began at 6:04 PM via Zoom. The September 29th minutes were approved.
REPORTS Treasurer's report The Treasurer’s report was read and approved. Total bank balance is currently $11841.52. Trustees Meeting: The recent Trustees meeting focused on a continued discussion of the job description for the Library Director & the composition of the search committee. Director’s Report (as reported at the Trustees meeting): Description of recent programs was shared. The next book discussion is “Caste” by Isabel Wilkerson. There have been problems with the library’s website; Linda is using Facebook for announcements until the website issues can be resolved. The Goblins & Giggles program for which the Friends agreed to be included as a sponsor has been cancelled. Publicity: Marny reported on the publicity for each of the events we organized this month. There was good attendance at both programs.
NEW BUSINESS 1. New Treasurer: George Perides was nominated & approved unanimously to take over the role of Treasurer. 2. Donations in memory of John Clayton. $1800. was received. An acknowledgement to the family has been sent with names of donors. Two hundred dollars was received in memory of the library’s former Director Stella Haney. The discussion re how to utilize these monies was tabled. Some ideas mentioned included: to explore possibility of a trust in future & whether memorial donations could be part of an endowment. A question of a subcommittee to address this issue will be on next month’s agenda. This committee could also be a vehicle for decisions on future such donations as they relate to new library furnishings that could be “in name of”. 3. Fall Newsletter/Annual Appeal. It was agreed that this should focus more on recruiting members rather than dollars as our finances are very good. We discussed volunteer recruitment & the possibility of offering a lifetime membership. This discussion will be continued. For the fall newsletter- we want to profile the Friends.board members. Towards this end we discussed inviting new members to write a bio. & we would highlight the different events we sponsored over the last year despite Covid: Poetry reading by Dorothy Johnson, used Book sale, candidates night, Deb Habib, Reading Aloud, Ciderfest, Director’s Retirement event.
Lisa will investigate set up & names & addresses for labels. George & Karen will follow up on purchase of materials for mailing, labels & envelops. Anna in next couple of days will get out assignments for articles for the newsletter. We noted that we should promote Amazon Smile with the coming holidays & a reminder should be put in the town newsletter. Mary Ann Palmieri will help with mailing.
OLD BUSINESS Program debrief: Friends Fall Cider Fest: was held on Friday, October 15 & was a huge success. $895 in tickets for the cider tasting were sold & $185 for the raffle tickets. We gave Carol $125.00 for hosting us. It was felt that this was a great community building event; much positive feedback was received. Diana’s Retirement: was held on Sunday, Oct. 3. This was a well attended event & a very nice send off for Diana. Subcommittee to bring art displays to the Library. Jo will follow up with Anan re-starting this committee up again. Improving the landscaping at Library: Lisa will follow up with Monica & Chris about plantings in the spring. Books: We discussed soliciting donations of gift-worthy coffee table books and decided to table this. Other Business: Search committee for the new Director: We agreed that we would want the trustees to revisit the size of the search committee & questioned limiting this to five. We recommended Betsy Bergantino as our representative on this committee and Monica from the ROL committee. Lisa can serve as back up. We discussed having a regular meeting time as the last Wednesday of the month at 6PM.
Meeting was adjourned at 7:42 PM. Next meeting: Wednesday, November 10 at 6:00 PM. Respectfully submitted, Jo Ellen Boskind, Secretary
Meeting Minutes September 29, 2021
Present: Lisa Finestone, Anna Channing, Marny Ashburne, Betsy Bergantino, George Perides, Karen Stevens, Barbara Franck, Linda Chatfield Meeting began at 6:03 PM at the Library and also via Zoom. The September 8 minutes were approved. It was noted that last names should be included when listing meeting attendees.
REPORTS Treasurer The Treasurer’s report was read and approved. Karen noted that it’s difficult to separate book sale money from John Clayton donations in the Square reports. Total bank balance is currently $10,073.83. Trustees Meeting: The recent Trustees meeting focused on feedback on the job description for the Library Director. This included more technology and better relationship/communication with the Friends. The position will remain at 19 hours (to avoid paying benefits) and add an assistant for support of duties. Marny will forward the draft minutes which were recently emailed. The next meeting dates are Oct. 19 (to vote on forming a search committee of 5 members: 1 Trustee, 1 Friend, 1 town board, 1 Library staff (Sue) and 1 community member (parent of young child(ren)) and Nov. 16. Director’s Report (given by Linda): Reported on recent programs. The next book discussion is “Caste”, date TBD. Glen Tattan has been contacted re: the lighting upgrade and will consider working on the project. Diana has finished required reports and they have been submitted. Linda asked about a new exhibit in the art area. The Art Committee consisted of Jo and Anan (who has recently resigned). We’ll need to check with Jo. Linda also asked if the Friends would help sponsor a Halloween storyteller “Goblins and Giggles”. The cost is $439; the Friends’ share would be $139. The date is tentatively Thursday, Oct. 28 (after school) and is for children ages 5-8. The amount was approved (after discussion), noting that the Friends would be included as a sponsor. Publicity: To be discussed under each event. Upcoming Events: Friends Fall Cider Fest: Friday, October 15 from 5:30-7:30 PM at New Salem Preserves & Heritage Cider. Lisa and Anna met with Carol Hillman to work on details. Tickets will be $20 per person, which will include 4 cider tastings (while William – cider maker- talks), 1 free pint of cider (Friends will pay half) of their choice and a small plate of appetizers. Additional pints will be available for purchase, as well as warm pretzels. Sweet cider will also be offered. 40 people maximum. Timeline 5:30-5:45 Arrival; 5:45-6:15 Tasting and Talk; 6:15 free pint and appetizer plates; 6:45-7:30 Socialize Raffle: Carol has offered cider syrup, applesauce, a glass and preserves to the Friends at half-price. We’d also like to include sweet cider. Barbara will contact Natalie & Jeff (New Salem General Store) for items to make a 2nd basket. Anna has a basket she’ll donate; we need 1 more basket. Tickets will be $1 each for 6 for $5; baskets will be on display in the Library (and tickets available to purchase) before the event. It was agreed that Friends board members will not be able to purchase tickets. We need tables and chairs (Town Hall?), tablecloths (white cloth), lights (Lisa), tent(s). The fire pit will be going and Lisa has another patio heater. The rain date is Saturday (Oct. 16), but only if the weather is really bad; all ticket holders will be contacted as necessary. The flyer should be elegant and festive . Karen, Barbara and Betsy volunteered to do the food – small “charcuterie” type plate with 5 items (make some vegetarian). Food will be prepped ahead of time and plated (using Chinet-type luncheon-size plates) at the event. Anna will make the online registration form and payment through Square – there will be no “in-person” ticket sales. Barbara had suggestions for decorations. Masks must be worn at the bar/barn. Parking – we will have someone directing traffic. Diana’s Retirement: Sunday, Oct. 3 from 2-4 PM. Set up (Anna, Barbara) is at 1:00. Anna will purchase a $50 gift card to Quabbin Harvest as a gift from the Friends. Anna will speak at the event and present the gift. Betsy purchased a retirement memory book for people to sign; this will be placed in the library afterward, so more people can sign. Betsy will purchase the cheese tray and paper goods and will leave all in the Library on Saturday.
NEW BUSINESS Donations in memory of John Clayton so far total $1725! Thank yous have been sent by Karen and she will notify the family regarding donors, so they may write their own thank yous. George noted that donors should be reminded that their contribution is tax deductible. Lisa suggested some ideas using wood, since John was a woodworker – display shelves under the circulation desk, end cap displays, furniture in sitting area; display area. She referenced the Athol Library as an example; pictures were requested the next time she visits the APL. Book Sale Debrief: People are very frustrated that the sale only brought in $208.20 for a HUGE amount of work. Betsy suggested to look at it as a “service” rather than a fundraiser – most Friends groups hold used book sales and people request/expect it. It will be much better if held in conjunction with another event, such as Old Home Day. We will not accept additional donated books until after the first of the year. Should we raise prices? There are still old, moldy books to be discarded; John Walsh can pick up again in November; Marny will contact him. Fall Newsletter: Anna made a new template, so articles can be easily included. She will email the group re:articles to be written (Dorothy Johnson reading, Cider event, Book sale) and pictures to include. The big challenge is to organize the actual mailing (newsletter, envelopes, labels, stamps, etc); Lisa will ask Mary-Ann (Palmieri) if she will help. It was suggested that envelopes be addressed to “Resident”: rather than use specific names, since many get returned. The goal is to mail newsletters before Thanksgiving.
Meeting was adjourned at 7:45 PM. Next meeting: Wednesday, October 27 at 6:00 PM. Respectfully submitted, Betsy Bergantino
Meeting Minutes September 8, 2021
Present: Lisa Finestone, Betsy Bergantino, Marny Ashburne, Anna Channing, George Perides Jo Boskind, Barbara Franck, Karen Stevens, Linda Chatfield (library staff) Meeting began at 6:04 PM at the library & also via Zoom. The August 8 Minutes were discussed and approved with modification.
REPORTS Treasurer: The treasurer’s report was read & approved. Director: The Director was not in attendance so there was no report. Trustees Meeting: It was announced that the Director, who, after 23 years of service, has given her notice, effective 10/01/2. As of that date Linda will be acting director. There was a discussion of the trustees timeframe for filling the position & recommendations re finding an appropriate candidate. It was noted that having a history of volunteering &/or being on the staff of the library & a resident of New Salem should be considered in hiring. We agreed to participate in retirement event for Diana. A $50. gift card for her was agreed upon. The next Trustees meeting will be September 28th at 7pm; a good attendance of Friends is expected. Publicity: We discussed this in relation to the used book sale, which will occur on September 18. Marny has put together a flier for distribution & announcements for the New Salem email newsletter. Betsy will put an announcement of the event on Face Book.
NEW BUSINESS Upcoming Events: Used Book Sale: Preparation for this event is underway. Members have signed up for sorting the donated books. The schedule for sorting & day of sale was discussed. Marny will put together a checklist of tasks for the event. Anna will look into the whereabouts of the banner used in previous sales. Two bookracks used in previous sales are stored in the Academy building; Lisa will obtain a key. John Walsh who has previously taken our unsold books has agreed to do so again after this sale.
New Salem Preserves Cider Event: It is planned for October 15. Anna & Lisa proposed that in light of the limited time between fundraising events that we do not offer a silent auction. We discussed having two baskets to be raffled off at the event instead along with refreshments. Barbara offered to approach the General store for items for the baskets; Jo offered to approach Quabbin Skye Winery. Karen offered to arrange for appetizers as did other board members. It was noted that at a previous tasting a $400.00 return was made. Tickets then were priced at $20.00. We agreed on raffle ticket prices of $1 or $5 for 6 tickets. We settled on a time of 5:30-7:30. It was agreed that the event will be called the Friends Fall Cider Fest & signs would be made in advance of the event. It was suggested that the items for the raffle be finalized in the next two weeks.
Other Events: Dorothy Johnson Reading: A success! More than 30 people attended in person and on Zoom. The event was recorded on Zoom and the recording will be made available.
Remaining Reimagining Funds: Discussion tabled. Lisa will follow-up on the cost of 8 new chairs for the sitting areas. Community Room Committee: Anna to make a sign up sheet for its usage. Interest Survey to Townspeople: The Trustees are planning a survey. Discussion tabled until the details of that survey are known. Fall Newsletter: Anna will work on the template Other: Anna announced that Anan has formerly resigned from the board. We again have an opening for a new member.
Meeting was adjourned at 7:35PM. Next meeting: Wednesday September 29 at 6:00 PM Respectfully submitted, Jo Ellen Boskind, Secretary
Meeting Minutes August 8, 2021
Members present: Lisa, Betsy, Marny, Anna, George, Jo, Diana, Karen and Guests: Barbara Franck and Martha Hanks-Nicoll, Meeting began at 6:36 PM at the library and via Zoom.
Approval of July Meeting Minutes The July 8th Minutes were discussed. Two changes were suggested (correct spelling of Marny’s name & removal of a sentence about the book REPORTS Treasurer The treasurer’s report was read & approved. Director The Director was present via zoom. Due to technical difficulties her report was difficult to hear but was summarized in the Trustees report. Noted activities planned for the library include a Story Walks program & a new book discussion both slated for September Trustees Meeting: Publicity: We discussed this in relation to the used book sale. Marny will put together a flier and announcements for the New Salem email newsletter.
NEW BUSINESS Fundraising Events: Used Book Sale: We decided on Saturday September 18th as the date for the sale. It was decided that receiving & sorting books will occur during library hours. We set up shifts of two hours each with two members in the three weeks leading up to the sale. Lisa will contact Monica & Mary-Ann re volunteering for the event. It was suggested that Friends membership forms be made available at the sale. Franklin County & Hampshire County Houses of Correction were identified as possible recipients for books not sold at the sale. New Salem Preserves Cider Event: During the meeting it was confirmed with Carol Hillman that Friday October 15 will be the date for this event. We discussed having a silent auction & light refreshments. Dorothy Johnson Reading: It was established for Wednesday September 1 at 7PM in person & with a possible Zoom option. It was decided that details re this event & the book sale could be followed up via email after this meeting. Writer Ocean Vuong:. Karen suggested tabling this til the Fall. Murder Mystery Event: Given the events already planned for this fall, this was tabled.
OLD BUSINESS New Member Outreach: Guests Martha Hanks-Nicoll and Barbara Franck introduced themselves and shared their reasons for wanting to be members of our board. Further discussion for New Member Outreach was tabled for now- as we have two new members onboard. Anna will check with Anan re his interest in continuing on the board. They were excused while their acceptance to the board was approved unanimously. Welcome Martha and Barbara! Remaining Reimagining Funds: Now combined total $9019.89 Community Room Committee: George and Barbara signed up for this committee Interest Survey to Townspeople: The positives and negatives regarding this was discussed. Final decision tabled for future meeting Zoom Account: was renewed on 7/10/21 Upgrading the Quickbooks: Karen reported that the current version is 2016 and not currently supported. It will cost $168.00 to upgrade. Motion to purchase an upgrade was made & unanimously approved. Fall Newsletter: we discussed November as a target date for this to go out.
Meeting was adjourned at 8:29PM. Next meeting: Wednesday September 8 at 6:00 PM Respectfully submitted, Jo Ellen Boskind, Secretary
Meeting Minutes July 8, 2021
Members present: Lisa, Betsy, Marny, Anna, Jo Meeting began at 6:32PM via Zoom. Approval of June Minutes:Motion to accept the minutes of the 6/28/21 meeting was approved.
REPORTS Treasurer's report The treasurer’s report was read & approved. Director’s report The Director was not present but an email from her with a wish-list was discussed: Items on the wish-list include 3 comfortable chairs, 4 chairs for the teen area, a book cart, a device to repair discs - (the book cart & disc device priced at $1600) window quilts, and signage. There was a discussion about prioritizing items that would be in the best interest of the patrons of the library. It was decided that members of the board visit the library & see what we want to prioritize and perhaps even have our next Board meeting at the library. It was noted that more lighting for the library had been approved but has not been resolved and needs follow-up. Lisa will work with Monica to get prices for the wish list. Trustees Meeting report: There was a discussion about attendance at the Trustee Meeting during the summer when members cannot attend. Publicity: We discussed this in relation to the used book sale. It was noted too that the Friends Bulletin Board at the library needs attention: Anna agreed to take this on. There was a discussion re the need for a Community Room Committee. A decision re this was tabled until next time.
NEW BUSINESS Fundraising events Our Used Book sale will not be part of the Library’s July 17 event. We discussed a fall book sale at the library in September, perhaps between September 11-15. Lisa spoke with Carol re a fundraiser at the Cidery. It would need to be during the week after mid-September, perhaps late September or early October. We discussed a possible silent auction as well in association with this event. Other possible events discussed was to host the local writer & poet Ocean Vuong. (Karen may be able to facilitate this). A Fall reading with Dorothy Johnson was also mentioned as a possibility in November. The following items were tabled til our next meeting: The Fundraiser letter we usually send out in the Fall. A survey regarding events and possible kids’ programs. Betsy will Follow-up with Athol & Orange Libraries for possible suggestions. A possible offering discussed was Bagged Books for kids. Upgrading the Quickbooks & its associated costs was tabled until Karen is present to discuss. Another agenda item for future discussion was The Murder Mystery event, follow up on the purchase of the script and whether to pursue this as a co-fundraising event with the 1795 Meetinghouse as had been previously suggested. Meeting was adjourned at 7:59PM. Next meeting: Thursday August 8 at 6:30PM